Re: NTSC capture card recomendation

>> Fatal flaw in your info. While the DV and MPEG standard has black at
>> 16 and white at 234.  Setup black is at about 32.  More below.
>
>  If a device puts it at 32 then it's a bug.

Are you calling the NTSC standard a bug?  Are you calling Sony, one of the
biggest names in industry standard television products, bug makers?

See next paragraph.

>> If only it were so.  As I said in my posting, most consumer and
>> pro-sumer devices DO NOT remove NTSC setup when converting to DV.  The
>> 7.5 IRE black level gets recorded at 32.  It has to be done in
>> software, otherwise the setup level will get transferred to VCD and/or
>> DVD recordings.
>
>  What's an example of a camera or transcoder that does this?

I hate to say this, but your above question makes me believe you never read
what I wrote in the paragraph that you quoted.  A DV camera is not a
converter of NTSC analog to DV (at least most people don't use them that way).
You failed to think about DVCAM recorders.  They convert analog to DV as well.

But, I can see where you can get a little off base by what I said in the
above paragraph, in that it was a little broad.  The ADVC100 analog <->
firewire converter does have a setup switch, as it is designed to work with
USA NTSC, which has setup and Japanese NTSC, which doesn't.  My guess is
that it therefore will remove setup if the switch is set to on.  My  guess
is that the Sony and Dazzle converters do not strip setup.  The reason I
suspect is that the Sony doesn't, is because their prosumer DVCAM decks do
not.  This includes all products in the DSR-20 and 40 family.  You have to
by their mopre expensive idustrial DVCAM products before you'll get a
switch setting to add/remove setup.

Does that mean the DSR-20 and DSR-40 family of products are buggy?  No.
Does it make it right?  No.  I would have preferred a setting whereby I could
configure the recorder to do it or not.  But, it doesn't, so I have to live
with it and use the level settings of the editing software to remove setup
from the DV file that I transferred from my DSR-20 to the computer.  Not
all of my DV recordings have NTSC setup.  When I record from my MPEG-2 4:2:2
professional satellite receivers, I record the analog without setup, because
the receivers can be configured to add setup.  I have them configured not to.
But, the analog satellite receivers do not have that option, as they shouldn't.

>From an initial glance, it looks like my JVC DV camcorder gets is right.  I
don't know if it adds setup to the analog outputs, since I never use them :-)

So, that is why the warning about getting ride of setup from NTSC analog
source material.  It makes no difference where it is done, it just has to be
done.  If the analog <-> firewire converter does it for you, then you are
alll set.  If not, then it must be done in software.

Hopefully this dialog has made you think about it and double-check the
equipment you are using.  By "you" I mean anyone reading this list.

MB
--
e-mail: vidiot@xxxxxxxxxx                                /~\ The ASCII
                                                         \ / Ribbon Campaign