Trouble with Winfast 2000 XP

Hi,

Well, I've reached the end of my wits in dealing with this problem. I have spent the last 3 days working on this, so I've RTFM, attempted to "do it myself", etc. etc. etc. :)

That being said...  My system configuration is as follows:

Mainboard:
Shuttle FV-25

Chipsets:
Northbridge - VIA Twister-T PN133T
Southbridge - VIA 686B

Capture Card:
Leadtek Winfast 2000 XP (bt878a)

Video Card:
SavagePro "Twister" on-board video (XFree86 4.2, latest "savage" driver that includes updated xvideo support)

Linux Distribution:  Mandrake 9.0

As for software configuration, I have tried every kernel possible. I started with the stock 2.4.19-16mdk kernel and the built-in bttv driver. I then proceeded to try a recompile of 2.4.19, 2.5.54, and finally back to 2.4.20 with Gerd Knorr's patches. I have tried several versions of Gert's 0.7 driver (including 0.7.100) and also with 2.4.20 and his patches, the 0.9.3 driver. I think I've about worn GCC out :)

Now - on to the symptoms. Although this might be better explained with a picture, I don't know if attachments are allowed on the list so I'll do my best with words.

When I first start xawtv, it sees the card fine, and opens up the TV tuner input. The first frame or two is filled with static (no antenna set up) and then it inexplicably begins to get progressively "compressed" up into the top 1/3 of the window. Switching the input to Composite or S-Video creates the same effect with whatever video is being input. Also, colors are off somewhat and the image is grainy and somewhat wavy.

Using Gerd's fbtv program, results are identical to xawtv.

Using another program called "grabbo", results are somewhat different, but not necessarily that much better. Although the image starts about 1/2 the vertical size, it expands when a scene goes blank and then takes up most of the window and is no longer smashed up. It is still pretty distorted, and the bottom 10% seems to skew to the left and right some of the time. I see several vertical thin (maybe 3 pixels wide) bars composed of red green and blue and the image is also pretty unclear and a little wavy. Better than xawtv/fbtv but still not even close to viewable. I am at a loss to explain the difference.

Now, a few thoughts that I've come up with on the matter. Firstly, I don't believe that there is anything wrong with the card itself. I have successfully used the card under Windows XP just prior to reformatting.

Next, I don't think that it is a problem with the savage driver supporting xvideo. Using the fbtv program and the framebuffer driver and still experiencing problems seems to support this.

I have also tried all the insmod options (ALL of them, including "pll=") with the bttv driver, with no luck at all. Also, under xawtv I have tried all the command-line options. They either produced the same result or no video at all.

So this is what I've been able to troubleshoot with the facilities available to me. Unfortunately I don't have another capture device to test with. In addition, the FV-25 motherboard has only 1 PCI slot, no AGP. With the capture card in the PCI slot, I'm unable to test with any other video cards besides the onboard Savage Twister.

This leaves several important things to investigate. Firstly, the difference in behavior between xawtv and grabbo is curious. Perhaps this provides some sort of clue to the problem? Also, I have been totally unable to find anyone that has described a similar type of image distortion, and obviously this capture card works for others...which makes me think that it may be something specific to my setup.

So, any ideas? I am at a loss here, and my only solutions are to either get this card going or try another. I don't have the funds for another at the moment, but I do have a firewire capture box I'd like to try - which is a related question that I'll post in another thread for the sake of clarity.

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can provide. I know this is a long message, but if you feel like helping please read through carefully so you get the whole picture (no pun intended). I appreciate having your support, and hope to hear from someone soon!

-Nathan