Re: freeze on motherboard with ali chipset

On Thursday 14 November 2002 02:57, Axel Thimm wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 14, 2002 at 01:17:13AM +0100, Zsolt Rizsanyi wrote:
> > My machine freezes when trying to start any tv viewer program (tried
> > xawtv, fbtv, qtvision). It is working for 0-3 secs then the screen
> > freezes.  The interesting is that scantv works. And even streamer works.
> > I can record by streamer and play it with mplayer (using XVideo). Do
> > anybody knows what could then be the problem?
>
> I have the same problem with an alimagik1 Chipset/NVIDIA/bttv, which I
> posted here a few days ago (bounced you the mails in private).

Yes I have got the mail. Thanks.
We have the same problem.

> It seems that overlay mode, i.e. direct PCI to PCI communication between
> capture and display card, is broken somehow. Either hardware, or kernel or
> bttv. I don't know of any diagnostic method to distinguish further.

Yes. It would be nice if could get some help in this area.
Tough very probably it is a hardware bug, which could be avoided by a kernel
hack. I have found a page with google where it is mentioned that there is a
patch for windows to fix this issue.

> > This seems the same as posted on this list about a month ago. Have
> > anybody found a resolution?
> > What have been tried out since? Have you tried all the proposed solutions
> > from README.quirks from the bttv documentation.
> >
> > I'm going to try those when I have time, but I would like not to do work
> > in vain.
>
> Does `xawtv -remote -noxv-video' work? Does `xawtv -remote' work also in
> the sense that you get a black screen, but the box doesn't crash? What
> display card do you have, and what kernel/bttv version?

xawtv -remote  does give some picture too it is very garbled, but xawtv
-remote -noxv-video gives perfect picture
Thanks for the tip.

For the system specs see my other mail.

Regards
Zsolt