Re: freeze on motherboard with ali chipset

On Thu, Nov 14, 2002 at 01:17:13AM +0100, Zsolt Rizsanyi wrote:
> My machine freezes when trying to start any tv viewer program (tried xawtv,
> fbtv, qtvision). It is working for 0-3 secs then the screen freezes.  The
> interesting is that scantv works. And even streamer works. I can record by
> streamer and play it with mplayer (using XVideo). Do anybody knows what
> could then be the problem?

I have the same problem with an alimagik1 Chipset/NVIDIA/bttv, which I posted
here a few days ago (bounced you the mails in private).

It seems that overlay mode, i.e. direct PCI to PCI communication between
capture and display card, is broken somehow. Either hardware, or kernel or
bttv. I don't know of any diagnostic method to distinguish further.

Sad thing is I chose this chipset after having been burned by the VIA
southbridge bug. alimagik1 was rumored to be slow, but stable. I think it
might be the alimagik1 southbridge handling in the kernel.

> This seems the same as posted on this list about a month ago. Have anybody
> found a resolution?
> What have been tried out since? Have you tried all the proposed solutions from
> README.quirks from the bttv documentation.
>
> I'm going to try those when I have time, but I would like not to do work in
> vain.

Does `xawtv -remote -noxv-video' work? Does `xawtv -remote' work also in the
sense that you get a black screen, but the box doesn't crash? What display
card do you have, and what kernel/bttv version?
--
Axel.Thimm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx