Re: saa7134 and tvtime

Robert Reid (robreid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx):

> yeah, make that 0x20000
> I haven't noticed its poor quality on DVDs yet.  It appears that the
> mplayer I have doesn't support -tv, I'm downloading the current
> version now and will try it out

  DVDs are mostly progressive so you shouldn't be deinterlacing anyway,
or at least being careful what you deinterlace.  Also, mplayer does not
output at the full framerate for interlaced DVDs, it outputs at half the
framerate as tvtime does, so there's a big quality difference there.

  The linear blend filter blurs the last two input frames together
50/50.  Here is an example of linear blend on a high motion info
channel:

  http://vektor.theorem.ca/graphics/deinterlacing/motion-linearblend.png

  Fast moving text is doubled on top of itself and becomes unreadable,
or blury.  Using the twoframe algorithm we get:

  http://vektor.theorem.ca/graphics/deinterlacing/motion-twoframe.png

  Which improves the resolution on the static text, and solves our fast
motion text problem.  The remaining problem is noise: we do want some
bluring, but more controlled.  I'll be adding in some filters that will
help alot with this.

--
Billy Biggs
vektor@xxxxxxxxxxxx