Video capture devices

Hi,

I am interested in replacing my soon to be dead VCR with some sort of
PVR based on a Linux box I already have in my entertainment center for
playing MP3s.  My questions are:

Which video capture board works best with Linux?

Which vendor either supplies drivers and or software or at least makes
the specs available for other developers?

These seem like the might be pretty common questions, is there an FAQ
somewhere for this info?

>From a little searching on the net it looks like my options are a DC10+
based board from Pinnacle, a WinTV board from Hauppauge, some Matrox
products, are there any others?

Thanks
Rick