Re: Frame grabbers with bt8x8 chipset

> You may be right about economies of scale, but would you trust a WinTV card
> for a real-time machine vision application? (and I stress the words 'real
> time')

If the rest of my hardware is real time capable then the BT8x8 is. It even
knows how to make sure you get partial frames in the event of excessive
DMA congestion. Watching tv smoothly is a real time problem 8)

If DMA timing is a concern, then it will be with any PCI based system, and
you should perform your own PCI latency setups having verified that the
chipset honours them properly, preferably is PCI 2.2 not PCI 2.1 and that
the hostbridge does fair sharing including onboard peripherals - notably
IDE.

In the normal PC world "real time" is a bit limited. You can spend theoretical
worst cases in milliseconds stalled waiting in the CPU because the exact worst
combination of video card busy, PCI stall and write gathering cache writeout
is occurring.

Alan