Re: Frame grabbers with bt8x8 chipset

Hi Georgios,

It's going to have the exact same bt8x8 chip that the non-tuner
posessing video grabber has.  Note, btw, that if you use composite in,
the tuner is not used anyway.  It's just sat there on the capture board
doing nada.

One other thing you might not have spotted: the bt8x8 does bus-master.

The latency through the capture/dma cycle is going to be pretty
negligable as the bt8x8 does not have enough buffer ram on-chip for a
full frame.  This can lead to other issues of you have a shoddy
motherboard pci implementation (latency and corrupted frames).

Your expensive frame grabber on the other hand, -might- have oodles of
ram, and large on-card latency.  It will be hard to have a significantly
lower latency than the bt8x8 though.

Some other personal opinions:

If you're doing something 'critical' with machine vision you want
redundancy anyway.  Not some hand-waving mtfb calculation (spoken as
someone working in the space satellite production field).

Tis your project's money though, not mine.  You've seen plenty of
suggestions on the list for bt8x8 cards without tuners, and other frame
grabbers if you really want something that isn't just a brooktree(as
was) reference-design clone with varying amounts of supporting circuitry
and customization.

Mark