Video card question from open source ITV project

Greetings:
As part of a CPB sponsored interactive television project, WGBH, public television in Boston, is  trying to create an open source reference platform for interactive television, based on Linux and Mozilla. I need to know  if there is a video card(s) which supports overlay of video from a video capture device ontop of  graphics, with the video being non-full-screen and scalable to application specified dimensions. Is this kind of support standard within  V4L2 ? If any one knows this or a clever hack I would be most greatful.
Finally, if anyone on this list is interested in this kind of project or can forward me to the appropriate place for this kind of project please fel free to contact me directly.

Thanks
Tim Halle
Project Manager
Interactive Television