Re: Re: v4l2 api

Hi Michael,

On Thu, 2002-10-17 at 15:48, Michael H. Schimek wrote:
> What about the v4l2_buffer.sequence field? I always assumed this is the
> number of transmitted, not read frames.

Indeed.

> Or will v4l2_std_id = V4L2_STD_UNKNOWN change
> the semantics, considering "transmitted" now those sent over usb,
> instead of counting the number of frames really taken by the camera?

How is this different? sequence is basically increased by the driver
when it receives an interrupts that tells it that the card/cam received
a new frame. So for USB cams, this is the number of transmitted frames.
There's no way to count the number of frames that the cam *might* have
captured if USB wasn't that crappy (*ahum*), how is the driver supposed
to know that anyway? ;-). However, the cam just captures a frame, which
it sends over the USB bus, and after that, it captures a new frame - so
I don't think the two are really different anyway.

Ronald

PS i like the proposals in your other email (call every enumeration
counter 'index' and merge standard in v4l2_enumstd and rename this to
v4l2_standard).