Re: Re: v4l2 api

Billy Biggs wrote:

>   I'm curious about the spec for ALTERNATE mode.  Definitely one thing
> I'd really love from ALTERNATE mode would be to be able to get an
> interrupt every input field, that is, use V4L2 as a clock.  This is
> important when doing a software-genlock, or measuring error in a
> deinterlacer.
>
>   Could it be the case that drivers only support ALTERNATE mode if the
> hardware provides them separately, rather than a frame-providing chip
> faking ALTERNATE mode?  Or, should I try and draft some V4L2 clock API
> instead?

Of course it was assumed alternating mode makes the buffers available at
field rate. That's the only real advantage over sequential or
interlaced. Don't know if faking should be permitted. When the app has
some stupid reason to depend on alternating it can help, but when it
expects field rate to work correctly that would be counter productive.

Michael