Re: Re: v4l2 api

Billy Biggs wrote:

>   You then give a lecture:

Your replies did not reveal an advanced level of knowledge, or if we're
talking about the same things at all. I just tried to be precise.

>   If you give me an interlaced frame, and it's a complete frame (or one
> cropped to scanlines mod 2), 'top field first' tells me temporal order
> and is sufficient.  However, if you give me a sequential mode frame, I'd
> like to know two things.  Whether the first field in the buffer is a top
> field or a bottom field, and then, which was captured first, top or
> bottom.  That's it.

Sorry, I'm unable to express that any better than I did. Submit your own
field spec if you must.

>  My point for having a flag is so that I can have some code
> independent of PAL or NTSC, and help driver writers whos cards don't
> give them the benefit of whether we're in F1 or F2.  See the VirtualDub
> deinterlacing plugins that try to detect whether the frames received are
> top or bottom field first... Let's avoid that...

You're barking up the wrong tree. I proposed two flags clarifying the
field order. I'm well aware of the advantages and disadvantages. So
is Gerd. He wanted a simpler fixed order. As maintainer he has the right
of a final decision. I have no time to waste arguing about matters of
taste and carry his ideas as much as he respects mine.

> > much thought behind the api you just won't find there. See old spec at
> > http://www.thedirks.org/v4l2/v4l2.htm
>
>   I've read it.  I still find that people are confused.  I'll probably
> write something and contribute it somewhere anyway.

Over the past years v4l2 did not receive the attention by skilled people
it deserves. I'll be glad when you do. However I can and will not work
with someone more interested to demonstrate his flaming talents than in
constructive discussion, no matter what the cause.

Michael