Re: v4l2 api

Michael H. Schimek wrote:
>  Gerd Knorr wrote:
> >
> > >  Yup. And being able to use each of them would be a good thing, imho.
> > >  Your point that you could do within alternate buffers is valid, it's
> > >  just a personal preference of me to keep the fields sequential.
> >
> > Have V4L2_FIELD_SEQ_TB + V4L2_FIELD_SEQ_BT now, ok?
>
>  I think that's a bad idea. See again, Ronald Bultje confirmed (if I
>  understood correctly) he wants the _older_ field first, not top or
>  bottom.

I understood it exactly the other way around: first field is always
the temporal first.  Ronald?

> > I've also dropped min/maxsize from v4l2_capabilities.
>
>  Fine. But something else, in the last version of your videodev.h it
>  seems you dropped all capab flags. A brief summary:
>
>  * TUNER is redundant because an app can just enumerate inputs to learn
>    the hw can tune, and more (how many tuners, name, supported video
>    standards, audio decoding, frequency range etc).

A TUNER bit is still present, IMHO a _simple_ check to see whenever some
tuner is present or not is useful.

>  * PREVIEW (OVERLAY) - You said it's useful, what changed your mind?

It is still there, named "V4L2_CAP_VIDEO_OVERLAY" now.

>  * READ/WRITE/STREAMING - Actually I thought this was never in question
>    (unlike optional ioctls just returning -EINVAL). I always liked to
>    enable the appropriate i/o routines without much ado. What's the
>    alternative?

read/write/streaming not being optional (but mandatory like select
support)?

  Gerd

--
You can't please everybody.  And usually if you _try_ to please
everybody, the end result is one big mess.