Re: Re: video recording prolems

On Tue, 2002-10-08 at 18:37, Michael O'Keefe wrote:
> > My problems with lavrec from mjpegtools are
> >         - I cant see how to output raw data to a raw file device.
> >                 (also, is this a sensible thing to do?)
>
> lavrec prolly can write to a raw device. But the AVI formats are limited to
> 1.7GB per file becoz it doesn't support OpenDML. Therefore, since you are writing
> to a raw device (ie. 1 file only) you may well run out of filesize very quickly

Well, on normal filesystems, you'd use a printf-like string as output
file (i.e. something like "lavrec [options] file-%02d.avi") to record to
multiple files. On raw devices, this won't work, of course. ;).

I don't see why you'd use a raw device, b.t.w., filesystems like XFS are
more than capable of handling these huge datastreams, especially when
used in conjunction with --file-flush=0 as option in lavrec (flush
kernel HD buffer every frame).

> I am told the quicktime format has no such file restrictions, but I have never
> tried it. I have no idea what the movtar format is.

Some private format. AVI is probably what most people use.

> >         - It mutes the sound on my TV card, while streamer doesnt.

This is actually a bug, yes... Will (probably) be fixed in 1.6.1, I've
got a fix pending for this.

Ronald