Re: video recording prolems

> My computer is an SMP dual 460 MHz system, 256 meg of ram, bt848 tv card.

I had a similar system once (dual Celeron 355's OCed to 550)

> I am experimenting with recording at a higher resolution then scaling
> down to obtain a higher quality image. I have tried recording at a resolution
> of 352x288, and the results on a vcd
> appear to be worse than straight video recording. However my computer only
> appears capable of saving data at a higher resolution without misses
> by  directly saving raw data to a raw file.
> I am having the following problems with the available tools.
>
> My problems with lavrec from mjpegtools are
>         - I cant see how to output raw data to a raw file device.
>                 (also, is this a sensible thing to do?)

lavrec prolly can write to a raw device. But the AVI formats are limited to
1.7GB per file becoz it doesn't support OpenDML. Therefore, since you are writing
to a raw device (ie. 1 file only) you may well run out of filesize very quickly

I am told the quicktime format has no such file restrictions, but I have never
tried it. I have no idea what the movtar format is.

>         - It mutes the sound on my TV card, while streamer doesnt.

Should only do that if you use the -m/--mute flag, otherwise, it won't touch the
mixer (unless you use the -l/--audio-volume flags as well)

> My problems with streamer are:
>         - How do I find out how big the file size is if I
>                         output to a raw output device.

That's the problem with writing to a raw device. It doesn't have filesystem
concepts like filesize, permissions etc...
You can tar the device to /dev/null and using the verbose flags, it will give
you some stats. dd will do the same...but you can't just ls the device.

>         - The format, using 4mpeg output format, is not accepted
>                         by lavtools/mjpegtools utilities. But the first few bytes of the
>                         file does indicate an attempt at this format.

the mjpegtools specfically say they only support files created by other mjpegtools.
Though I have found them to support streamer's MJPEG AVI's. But since streamer
will use the OpenDML standard once a file goes beyond 2GB, then it won't support
it any more. I haven't used streamer in quite a while to remember whether it
will record to multiple files, and a quick, cursory look at streamer -h suggests not.

I use lavrec for my recordings. in NTSC, 352x240 @ 29.97 with an 85% MJPEG quality,
and get about 3.5GB/hr (more for animations).

I gave a presentation to our LUG last month on using a Linux box to record and
transcode TV input. If you're interested,  some of the files are on
http://www.kernel-panic.org/index.pl/200209gen where I give some pointers to
improving your HD speed via the use of hdparm (IDE of course).
--
Michael O'Keefe                      |          mokeefe@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Live on and Ride a '96 Honda CBR1000F|          roxus@xxxxxxx      / |