Advice on MPEG-1 recording

Hi,

I am looking at a project for a TV  broadcaster that needs to record
their output for legal reasons. They currently do this using VHS and
changing tapes every few hours (in fact there are two systems so that
they don't miss anything while changing tapes). They've asked us to
look at an MPEG-1 based system to replace it. I would love to do this
using Linux, if at all possible. I wouldn't trust Windows to do this
daily, reliably, for any significant period of time without falling
over.

They broadcast around 18 hours a day, so my initial thought was
something along the lines of an MPEG-1 card creating an 18-hour long
MPEG-1 file for each day.

So my questions...

- Is there a well-supported MPEG-1 card for Linux? Are there any that
can do burnt-in wallclock timecode? (The second requirement is a nice-
to-have, otherwise we use some external device to add it)

- Does an 18-hour MPEG-1 seem practical? Would software players be
able to play it back?

I would be grateful for any hints.

Thanks,

Liam