Re: Possibly OT: In need of jpeg decompression algorithm

In message <Pine.SOL.4.44.0209300920440.12445-100000@stekt36>
          Tuukka Toivonen <tuukkat@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sat, 28 Sep 2002, Miah Gregory wrote:

> >Maybe you can help clarify something for me. My understanding is that the
> >bridge chip is the main processor in the device, eg. an spca50x chip.

> Well, yes. It does some image processing functions, communicates directly
> with the USB bus and usually can do motion JPEG compression.

Yes.

> >The "sensor chip" however isn't quite so clear to me. Are we talking about
> >a chip which communicates with the CCD, or the CCD itself? I suspect the

> The CCD itself I would say. In Quickcams, it's actually a CMOS camera chip
> that contains the light-sensing electronics and I2C communications and
> logic to transfer raw image data to the bridge chip (which then forwards it
> to the USB bus). CCD cameras, so I have heard, may have more sensor chips
> (I believe it's not economic to implement digital logic in a CCD chip so
> that might be on different chip... on CMOS chips the chip may have logic in
> addition to the light sensors).

Ok, so "sensor" applies to CCD plus glue logic, which in some cases is
physically part of the CCD component itself?

> >This is something I'd like to get done, not least because the number of
> >people interested in the spca50x driver is growing relatively fast.

> I like SPCA documentation. Not perfect, but *much* better than from ST (for
> Quickcams).

Heh.

> >Is there a list administrator about that could suggest a method by which
> >Tuukka could have his submissions received by the list?

> Well, I *could* subscribe tuukkat@xxxxxxxxxxxx instead of
> tuukkat@xxxxxxxxxx, which is my real address... or something like that...
> and it would probably work. But I'm lazy and who cares about my postings
> anyway?

Well, I've found them helpful, but maybe that's just me. :)

--
Miah Gregory