Re: Possibly OT: In need of jpeg decompression algorithm

In message <Pine.SOL.4.44.0209251438020.29425-100000@stekt36>
          Tuukka Toivonen <tuukkat@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, 25 Sep 2002, Miah Gregory wrote:

> > VIDIOCGCAPTURE
> > VIDIOCSCAPTURE
> > VIDIOCKEY

> I wouldn't worry about these. I don't think any user application uses them
> anyway, it seems that Quickcam driver hasn't even heard about the two
> first, the the third does nothing. Just return -EINVAL for all of them.

Right ok.

> It looks like basically all USB cameras have two chip: the sensor chip and
> the bridge chip. The quickcam camera supports only bridges from ST
> Microelectronics, while your driver supports only Sunplus bridges.
> Both need to support common sensor types such as Photobit (PB-0100), HP
> (HDCS) or ST Microelectronic's sensor (VV6410).

Indeed.

> It might be a good idea to modularize both sensor chip and bridge chip
> drivers. Most code could be shared in the camera drivers. The Quickcam
> driver has quite well modularized drivers for the three sensor chips
> already.

Maybe you can help clarify something for me. My understanding is that the
bridge chip is the main processor in the device, eg. an spca50x chip.

The "sensor chip" however isn't quite so clear to me. Are we talking about
a chip which communicates with the CCD, or the CCD itself? I suspect the
former, but I'm not sure.

> Anyway, this would need more work than I have time to do... :(
> And somebody with lots of cameras to test.
> But if you find labour to do that, I'll be glad to help.

Assuming communication with all of these devices uses I2C, it's possible we
could create a supplimentary module which provides an API to retrieve
specific I2C programming sequences, given that the caller should know the
id.

This is something I'd like to get done, not least because the number of
people interested in the spca50x driver is growing relatively fast.

Footnote:

Is there a list administrator about that could suggest a method by which
Tuukka could have his submissions received by the list?

--
Miah Gregory