Re: MANY PVR related questions

Hello Stephen,

The question of synchronizing mplayer/xine frames to the raster refresh
isn't peculiar to VGA->SCART.  Its a general issue for any raster-scanned
output (VGA monitor, LCD, LCD projector, TV via TV-out or anything).

Yes.

X's XVideo interface (what mplayer's -vo xv driver uses) doesn't
synchronise to the raster refresh.  So, yes, tearing artefacts can be seen
on pans.
> I use such a setup. I'd obviously like to get rid of the effect, but > do find I don't notice it especially any more.

Ok.

This is a difficult and subtle business.  Even harder when you have
video whose frame rate isn't the same as the display refresh.

That's true.

Cue people like Billy Biggs and Dave Chapman who know and care about this
much more than I.

Up to now, I'm using an el-cheapo dxr3 mpeg hardware video decoder, which does the decompression and handles the synchronization perfectly, of course. The video qualiy via s-video is really good, too.

So I don't want to take a step back...

The only drawback is, that non-mpeg video (ie. avi) has to be transcoded on the fly to mpeg, so you cannot integrate this stuff into a pvr with little cpu power (Athlon 700MHz is the lower limit is suppose). Additionally, using mplayer, sometimes the a/v sync is crap. xine does a better job, but fails on some other avis.

Regards,
Steve Davies

CU
Michael.