Re: saa7134 - the sound of silence

I share your unstable Flyvideo 3k problem.  When I first got it working it
too worked great for a few hours, then whamo, no sound.   I posted a lot of
articles earlier and we (those on the list who generously participate and I)
could not identify/resolve the issue.  A few weeks ago I did a fresh install
of RedHat 7.3, rebuilt the who kernel from 2.4.18 + patches, and it worked
perfectly.  I suspect part of my initial problem was that I used the wrong
patch getting from 2.4.18 + 2.4.19-?? patch + v4l patch and I had to
modified some include share memory file that displayed errors when I applied
the patch.  But at the time it seemed to compile fine and worked.  But later
the sound died and I hit the list trying to resolve the problem.   When I
did the fresh install a few weeks ago all the 2.4.18 kernel + 2.4.19 patch +
v4l patch all worked perfectly first time.  I tried to reproduce the old
problems but could not.  I thought I would wait until I posted to the list
expecting it to fail again soon.  It did not.  Also, I was not sure of the
true source of the problem, but me tinkering with the include file might
have had something to do with it.

So.  A week ago I got a new 120GB hard drive and decided to re-arranged my
whole system and ended up re-installed RedHat 7.3 from scratch.  I then
rebuilt the kernel BUT this time the current kernel was 2.4.19 (no 2.5.18 +
2.4.19-rc3 patch or anything on http://www.kernel.org.  Cool I thought.  But
when I looked at the current v4l2 patch (diff file) off http://bytesex.org I
noticed it is for 2.4.19-rc3.  I renamed the 2.4.19 source directory to
2.4.19-rc3, applied the v4l2 patch, built it all, installed, rebooted,
recompiled saa7134-0.1.10, installed, modprobe saa7134, started xawtv again!
Everything worked fine - BUT now sound again!

So.  At this point, before further investigation I am waiting for a new
version of v4l2 diff file to be released based specifically on a current
kernel source / patch file combination.

Your not alone!  I will post any legitimate findings.
--Geoff