saa7134 - the sound of silence

Hi there,

I've read through the July-August archive of the list, but couldn't find a
complete solution to the well-known saa7134 based Flyvideo3K problem: xawtv
mutes the card (i've tried some things found in the list archive, but no
help, it just mutes anyway), while any radio application works correctly.

The strange fact is, that I have two linuxes (on two HDDs) for my box. I do
have my 'old' Debian box with kernel 2.4.19 (v4l2 patches) and
saa7139-1.0.9, where my flyvideo just works *perfectly*. (X booting up,
starting xawtv, it works with pic and sound). But I have my freshly pulled
up gentoo linux on the other hdd, where i just cant get xawtv pushing out
any sound from the saa7134. I use the v0.1.10 saa7134 drivers on gentoo.

The setup is just the same on the two boxes, as far as I can tell. I have
the flyvideo's line out wired into the sblive 1024's line in with an
external cable. I load only the saa7134 driver with the option card=2,
nothing else. I do not load the tda9887 module (which i believe was meant
for the flyvideo's sound chip). The sblive's mixer is set to recording on
the Line channel, the saa7134's mixer is 'recording' on its Video channel.
These are set the very same way both on the debian box (where it works) and
on the gentoo (where it does not). I have no idea what it's going on here.

[I have one more slight comment about my story, but you won't believe it: I
did have sound correctly from the saa7134 using xawtv on my gentoo box (!),
for about 40 minutes. Not before, not after, no idea what has changed since
that, or what did I do to get it work, can't reproduce it either since that
(happened 3 days ago). Voodoo, eh?]

Any help/comments appreciated,
Kind regards,

Christopher Jozsa
--
.Digital.Yearning.for.Networked.Assassination.and.Xenocide