Re: Questions about Saa7134 drivers

>  * can I use at the present moment of development your saa drivers
>  without problems, or are they still too beta, or not yet ready for
>  use to record long movies from tv?

tv sound has some problems (as discussed on this list ...).  I'm not
aware of other major issues.

>  On your webpage you say thay
>  'almost everything is working' .. except vbi and TS dma support - I
>  have no idea what this is, to tell the truth.

vbi -- vertical blank intervall, i.e. where teletext data is sent.
TS -- mpeg transport stream transfer.  That is working.  Requires some
additional chip which provides the mpeg data (encoder chip, dvb,
whatever) through.

>  * With which kernels do your saa drivers work?  I can patch and
>  compile the kernel without problems - but I just don't like to have
>  to use a _specific_ kernelversion - are your patches working with
>  kernels other than 2.4.18/2.4.19bleeding-edge?

The 2.4.18 patch should work with older kernels too.  There are a nmber
of videodev-related changes between .18 and .19, thus .19 + later needs
another patchset.

>  * Do the capturing programs I know work fine with the saa drivers?
>  Like zapping, kwintv, avicap, dvr,xawtv?

It is the same API (that is the whole point of v4l ...).  Thus it should
work.  The actual driver behaviour is very close to bttv 0.8.x, in fact
some code for video buffer management (video-buf.o module) us shared
between bttv 0.8.x and saa7134.

>  * do the saa-chips/drivers also produce 'dropped frames' (with
>  avicap) when recording from VHS tape?

don't know.

  Gerd

--
You can't please everybody.  And usually if you _try_ to please
everybody, the end result is one big mess.