Questions about Saa7134 drivers

Hi,

I'm thinking about buying a tv-card - maybe the Medion/Tevion MD9717, which is
sold in Germany by ALDI, so if've  some questions about your saa-drivers:

* can I use at the present moment of development your saa drivers without
problems, or are they still too beta, or not yet ready for use to record long
movies from tv?
On your webpage you say thay 'almost everything is working' .. except vbi and
TS dma support - I have no idea what this is, to tell the truth.

* With which kernels do your saa drivers work?
I can patch and compile the kernel without problems - but I just don't like to
have to use a _specific_ kernelversion - are your patches working with
kernels other than 2.4.18/2.4.19bleeding-edge?

* Do the capturing programs I know work fine with the saa drivers?
Like zapping, kwintv, avicap, dvr,xawtv?

* I've read that the ALDI MD9717 card comes only with WDM drivers for win98,
and that WDM drivers are bad than Vfw-or-hows-the-other-older-sort called,
I've got no idea, I'm a penguin ;-)
Can you tell me if I can use the card on win98se fine with VirtualDub, or
would I get disadvantages?

* do the saa-chips/drivers also produce 'dropped frames' (with avicap) when
recording from VHS tape?
I have (nearly) no problems recording from TV with a borrowed bttv-TV card,
but when I try to capture VHS, I get lots of dropped frames.
I read, this is a problem of the bttv-chip which throws away frames when they
are in 'bad VHS quality' - is this also true for the saa-card/drivers, or can
I use this newer chipset better for from VHS tape recording?

Alex

--
                   Alexander Rawass
          Email: alexannika@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx