Re: patch(saa7134-0.1.8-pre1): Terratec Cinergy 400

Wan Tat Chee wrote:

> Gunther,

> > > Do you mean passthrough? I think on insmod the driver mutes sound output
> > > as part of the initialization, also on cleanup during rmmod.
> > > (I'm the culprit for this, I think).
> >
> > Yes I mean passthrough.
> > This policy must be fixed, because users want to hear their soundcard !
> > (For users this would be a hard-to-find bug).
>
> Do you mean users plug their external input into the TV Capture card,
> which is then connected to the Line-In of the Soundcard?
>
> ie, Ext. Audio source -> TV Capture Card -> Soundcard Line In
>
> If it works when the saa7134 driver is not modprobed, then
> it's due to hardware initialization defaults (LINE1). On my FlyVideo 2000,
> I don't get audio passthrough until I explicitly select Composite/SVideo
> which selects the correct ext. audio inputs (thanks to GPIO bit
> manipulation requirements).

Think User:
Case A: TV Card pass-through
	   ++ The Hardware behaves consistent with/without insmod
	      (Pity there is Hardware like flyvideo2000 which works the other
	      way around, but I think this is uncommon).
	   ++ Easy solution for your problem (you have s.th. connected
	      and don't want to hear it)
	      ==> Average user will quickly use his favourite mixer.

Case B: TV Card mute
	   -- Hardware is inconsistent with/without insmod
	       (Even if Flyvideo is different, pass-through would
		be preferred, see next point).
	   -- Difficult and unexpected solution for this problem
	      User connects to Line_In on tv card but doesn't hear s.th.
	      (counter-intuitive solution: "startup xawtv and select CVid input)