Re: patch(saa7134-0.1.8-pre1): Terratec Cinergy 400

Gunther,

On Mon, 15 Jul 2002, Gunther Mayer wrote:

> > > Hi,
> > > Cinergy 400 works perfect with appended patch.
> > >
> > > Minor issues:
> > > 1) insmod saa7134 _mutes_ the external audio loop-through
> > >    It should let the sound though. Gerd is this a known problem?
> >
> > Do you mean passthrough? I think on insmod the driver mutes sound output
> > as part of the initialization, also on cleanup during rmmod.
> > (I'm the culprit for this, I think).
>
> Yes I mean passthrough.
> This policy must be fixed, because users want to hear their soundcard !
> (For users this would be a hard-to-find bug).

Do you mean users plug their external input into the TV Capture card,
which is then connected to the Line-In of the Soundcard?

ie, Ext. Audio source -> TV Capture Card -> Soundcard Line In

If it works when the saa7134 driver is not modprobed, then
it's due to hardware initialization defaults (LINE1). On my FlyVideo 2000,
I don't get audio passthrough until I explicitly select Composite/SVideo
which selects the correct ext. audio inputs (thanks to GPIO bit
manipulation requirements).

IMHO, I feel that enabling audio passthrough when the driver is not loaded
is incorrect. I may have an external source which I only want to enable
when I'm running something that uses the TV capture card (e.g., recording,
viewing, etc). I presume that you're using an audio only source like a
hi-fi system.

I'm not sure what would be a reasonable solution to this issue, though
from Gerd's reply, you may want to reorder the input sequence to achieve
your desired results.

As for 2), I guess there's a bug (no, I haven't looked at the code yet).

T.C.
----
Wan Tat Chee (Lecturer)
School of Computer Science, Univ. Science Malaysia,
11800 Minden, Penang, Malaysia.          Ofc Ph: +604 657-7888 x 3617
Internet: tcwan@xxxxxxxxx            Web: http://nrg.cs.usm.my/~tcwan
GPG Key : http://nrg.cs.usm.my/~tcwan/tcw_gpg.asc
F'print :  FB0F CED7 85A5 ECF9 DEF0  50E8 A550 A0D2 8638 B1EB