video kernel

Hi,

I am writing some video for linux applications which will
be used in live setting.  It's important that no system/kernel
processes start up doing irrelevant maintenence during the
program's execution because this kills the frame rates.
Does anyone know of any stripped down kernels or other
ways in which one can prevent this from happening?  I'm not
sure what it is that gets run but on occasion some disk-intensive
system process starts up in the background which lasts 5-10 seconds
and during this time, the video is unwatchable.

Thanks,

Bilal