Re: video kernel

Quoting Bilal Khan <grouptheory@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

> I am writing some video for linux applications which will
> be used in live setting.  It's important that no system/kernel
> processes start up doing irrelevant maintenence during the
> program's execution because this kills the frame rates.
> Does anyone know of any stripped down kernels or other
> ways in which one can prevent this from happening?  I'm not
> sure what it is that gets run

You'd better find out - how else can you stop it?

> but on occasion some disk-intensive
> system process starts up in the background which lasts 5-10 seconds
> and during this time, the video is unwatchable.

You do not need a modified kernel for any of that. My first guess would be
that your app runs out of memory, and the disk activity that you see is
virtual memory in action.

Run the test in single-user mode, disable swap and see what happens. Check
that none of /etc/rc.d/init.d/... daemons are running (stop whatever you
don't like).

To push things to the limit, you can create a runlevel where your app is
the only one started by init. That would be a decent setup for an embedded
system. Also you can run your app -as init- (meaning that the kernel will
start it as soon as it finishes booting.)

Dmitri

--
Who wants to remember that escape-x-alt-control-left shift-b puts you into
super-edit-debug-compile mode?