Re: video kernel

Hi,

On Friday 12 July 2002 22:18, Bilal Khan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am writing some video for linux applications which will
> be used in live setting.  It's important that no system/kernel
> processes start up doing irrelevant maintenence during the
> program's execution because this kills the frame rates.
> Does anyone know of any stripped down kernels or other
> ways in which one can prevent this from happening?  I'm not
> sure what it is that gets run but on occasion some disk-intensive
> system process starts up in the background which lasts 5-10 seconds
> and during this time, the video is unwatchable.

You could try to lock the application into memory, and give it real-time
priority. This should save you a lot of trouble.

NB: with all these high-speed disks nowadays it's easy to saturate your PCI
bus, so you may never be able to really circumvent these kind of problems.
Not on PC hardware, anyways :-(

 - Nemosoft