Re: PVR hardware selection help

On Wed, Dec 12, 2001 at 10:13:06PM -0800, Greg Bell wrote:

> I'm putting an PII/300 to work in the living room doing various
> firewall, terminal, and MP3 type things.  I'd like to turn it into a PVR
> as well.

I have a K6-300 lying around but I have been very doubtful that it
would be effective at real-time capture and encoding after doing much
of it on my Athlon 800 and seeing what it takes CPU-wise.

> I don't care about time shifting, just basic VCR type functionality (but
> it'll be more fun :).  It'll have a big disk so hopefully I won't need
> hardware assisted encoding.

Well, CPU is the more important factor.  But I suppose one could argue
that the more disk you have the less CPU you need because you can
tolerate very large encodings.

> Basic question not yet answered after a few weeks of lurking:  Am I better
> off with a product like ATI's all-in-wonder type cards, or with a separate
> capture/tuner (Hauppauge WinTV-PCI) and TV Out (Nvidia GE2 MX-400) combo?

Interesting question.  I went the separate route and bought the ATI
TV-Wonder.  I am now in search of the best TV-Out solution.  Ideally I
want framebuffer output (Mplayer supports some framebuffer and TV-Out
solutions but I have yet to get anyone to commit to "the ideal" on the
Mplayer list), hardware scaling and TV-Out.

I think the Nvidia chips do all of the above but I am leary of getting
into a situation where you are dependent on a hardware vendor
continuing to produce drivers.  If they should one day decide that
Linux is no longer worth the effort, the hardware will be junk.

> I don't have a ton of home entertainment equipment so ideally I'd be able
> to take coax in and have coax out.

I think most TV-Out video cards have composite and S-video out.  I
bought an RF modulator that takes composite and L/R stereo audio in
and modulates that into an RF signal on coax for plugging into the
(ancient) TV (in my living room).  The box cost CAN$40 at my local
A/V/computer shop.

b.

--
Brian J. Murrell