Re: PVR hardware selection help

Greg Bell wrote:
> I don't care about time shifting, just basic VCR type functionality (but
> it'll be more fun :).  It'll have a big disk so hopefully I won't need
> hardware assisted encoding.

  The software MPEG encoders work, although the quality isn't
quite as high per meg as a hardware encoder like a Tivo has because the
software ones AFAIK are all MPEG1 and the hardware jobbies are
usually MPEG2. (YMMV)

  Personally I can get an hour per gig using "watchable" quality
settings of 352x240 at 2.3Mb/s. Which means that you only need
about a 30G drive to have a usable amount of space. A lot of
early Tivos are only 14 hours....

  Since 100G drives are available, I don't see compressing it
any more than that. If my drive gets too full I expect some of
it is stuff I've decided to keep and I can stripe it out
to VHS to recover the space.

  2.3Mbit makes for a very watchable picture. However, my normal
source of video is a satellite dish, so I'm sort
of used to watching MPEG artifacts. I have a pretty large TV
though so it does make it more noticeable than on the monitor.

  I can send you a sample if you want.

> Basic question not yet answered after a few weeks of lurking:  Am I better
> off with a product like ATI's all-in-wonder type cards, or with a separate
> capture/tuner (Hauppauge WinTV-PCI) and TV Out (Nvidia GE2 MX-400) combo?

  From my experience you will pay much less for seperate units if
you scrounge the junk bins and newsgroups. Since the features
that make the newer video cards expensive aren't really going to
help you (3D, lots of fast memory) it is a valid way to save
a buck or two.

  A bt848 card seems to capture video just fine, and I got
mine from a local newsgrounp for $15cdn ($10us). I don't use a tuner
because my prime source is a satellite receiver, just Svideo in.

  I got an ATI Rage 8MB PCI card with Tv-out for $35cdn. ($23us?) and
it has more than enough horsepower to show the image. A big 3D
processor and 32M of vram would likely be wasted on a PVR.

  So... if you are buying the stuff specifically for the job, my
experience is that you can save your money and go with the older
stuff which is usually seperate.

  It also saves you the big ugly cable breakout box that most
all-in-wonder type cards have because there isn't enough room
on the backplate of one card for all the plugs.

> I don't have a ton of home entertainment equipment so ideally I'd be able
> to take coax in and have coax out.  I realize this is a bit unrealistic...
> my DSS box has Svideo in...

  I found the coax in video quality to be unacceptable. The
noise in the image is especially bad because it then gets compressed
and makes more artifacts as the encoder tries diligently to
reproduce all those freckles. :<

  Your DSS likely has both Svideo out and composite out and
they are both usually live. One of which should be open and
available for your video in card. I use the composite and it
seems fine, the Svideo is used for my normal viewing. (side
issue, can Svideo be split?)

  As for coax out, few cards will support this. (None that
I know) You might have to use the composite out and the video
in of your VCR if you are short of jacks.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@xxxxxxx