Re: Using Video amd FM tuning in the same app.

On Thu, 27 Sep 2001, Dave Schmitz wrote:

> I was curious to know if anyone is using both video tuning and FM tuning in the
> same (bttv) app. I was wondering what the best approach is to use both devices.
> Do I need to close the /dev/video0 and open /dev/radio0 and vice versa when
> switching between functionality? Is there a way to open both devices?
>
> Also, I've noticed a ioctl called VIDIOCGUNIT which is suppose to "obtain
> related devices if a driver has multiple components". What is this information
> used for?
>
> Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated..

In my hardware (wintv-fm), at least, demodulating the fm and tv sound is
both done by the same chip - so I wouldn't expect that both could work at
the same time.

One possible trick comes to mind if you could use composite video - route
the video sound straight to your sound card.  Then install btaudio.  May
be able to put the audio on the card into fm mode and get its sound out of
btaudio whilst the composite video sound comes through your sound card.

Steve