Re: Using Video amd FM tuning in the same app.

Hi,

> From: Dave Schmitz <schmitzware@xxxxxxxxx>
>
> > I was curious to know if anyone is using both video tuning and FM
> > tuning in the same (bttv) app.
>
> Does not work with e.g. one hauppauge card. It has only one tuner and
> cant tune both, tv and fm.

Uh, then how WinME does that !? I have only one hauppauge card
and under WinME I can encode with RealProducer both radio and video
at the same time.

> > I was wondering what the best approach is to use both devices.
> > Do I need to close the /dev/video0 and open /dev/radio0 and vice
> > versa when switching between functionality?
>
> > Is there a way to open both devices?

There is a way, V4L2 :)

> Hm. Depends on the hardware. I've an extra radio card and both devices
> dont know each other, of course. But with the same tuner on a grabber
> card...  Maybe you could select some other (tunerless) input for video
> and use the radio part of that card... Try or ask Gerd... (-:
>
> > Also, I've noticed a ioctl called VIDIOCGUNIT which is suppose to
> > "obtain related devices if a driver has multiple components". What
> > is this information used for?
>
> Good question. I tried my litte C code (attached) on various /dev/xyz
> with bttv 0.7.x. Only /dev/video0 reported something - very usefull to
> find relationships form /dev/radioX to user things...
>
> I wanted to write some radio app that time...

Latest xawtv package has excellent radio app. (thanks Gerd)

ps
  V4L2 has an additional great capability that I can change video
  inputs and/or tuned stations _after_ an application that uses
  /dev/video0 is started !
    (think live encoding with realproducer and changing rgb values
     or brightness/contrast as you please)

--
FUBared.

Ova poruka poslana je upotrebom HThinet WebMail usluge.
https://webmail.hinet.hr