Re: VoodooTV tuning and picture problems

David Fairey wrote:

> Sorry I haven't got back to you sooner, but here's what I've found out.
>
> > > Also only the top third of screen
> > > tends to be noisy the rest is occasionally updated.
> >
> > Is the rest (2/3) showing the correct picture (whenever updated)?
>
> No actually the rest of the screen would be black most of the time.
> To narrow down the problem even further, the following question in the FAQ
> gave me the idea to soft boot the machine into Linux after viewing the TV in
> Windows.
> > Q: I can´t change the TV station, I just see what I´ve tuned in last in
> > Windows.
> > A: insmod tuner.o
>
> So I've just installed Win98 on another drive and installed all the relevant
> drivers and it works fine.. Then soft-booting into Linux (Big thanks to
> GRUB). Running fbtv straight away with PAL and europe-west channels I can
> tune into all 5 channels available in the UK. Yippee!!!

Fine.

> Tho after a hard-boot the picture goes back to noise again. So it seems that
> Windows "initialises" this card in a way that bttv doesn't yet.
>
> I hope this has given you some ideas on how to get the card working directly
> out of the box without the need for Windows.

The card here works purely Linux (no Windows on this machine).

You could try:
- connect a video source to Composite or SVid (e.g. video recorder, ...)
  and see if this works after warmboot/coldboot.
  With this we could see it the problem lies in some BT8x8/PCI setup or really
  is voodoo/MT2032 specific (anyway it would be specific to some difference between
  your machine and mine).
- toggle "PNP OS" setting in BIOS setup