Re: VoodooTV tuning and picture problems

Sorry I haven't got back to you sooner, but here's what I've found out.

> > Also only the top third of screen
> > tends to be noisy the rest is occasionally updated.
>
> Is the rest (2/3) showing the correct picture (whenever updated)?

No actually the rest of the screen would be black most of the time.

> > > Gerd ! With "pll=28" the picture is perfect !
> > * From a previous post setting pll=28 does not affect the
> > picture.
>
> This is the default now (bttv-0.7.78), no manual intervention needed.

OK. Tho I'm working on 0.7.77 as 0.7.78 doesn't compile for me under kernel
2.2.19.

> > * When the starting xawtv or fbtv (PAL, Television, europe-west) I
typically
> > get the following in syslog.
> >
> > bttv0: PLL: 28636363 => 35468950 ... ok
>
> I get this too, here. It is harmless.

OK.

> This means re-tuning per datasheet is not yet implemented :-(
> This should of course only harm channel 24.

OK.

> Things to try:
> - re-seat your tv card into a different PCI slot (remove other cards
eventually)

I did this an no one slot changes the noisy picture. Tho I have now got the
card on it's own on IRQ 9.

> - try another tv card in this slot

Not possible as I've only one at the moment.

> - try different "tv norm" selections in xawtv and report
I have tried PAL, NTSC and SECAM and the only thing that changes is the
colour and size of the noise.

> This will help to narrow down the problem source.

To narrow down the problem even further, the following question in the FAQ
gave me the idea to soft boot the machine into Linux after viewing the TV in
Windows.
> Q: I can´t change the TV station, I just see what I´ve tuned in last in
> Windows.
> A: insmod tuner.o

So I've just installed Win98 on another drive and installed all the relevant
drivers and it works fine.. Then soft-booting into Linux (Big thanks to
GRUB). Running fbtv straight away with PAL and europe-west channels I can
tune into all 5 channels available in the UK. Yippee!!!

Tho after a hard-boot the picture goes back to noise again. So it seems that
Windows "initialises" this card in a way that bttv doesn't yet.

I hope this has given you some ideas on how to get the card working directly
out of the box without the need for Windows.

I have time avaliable if I need to apply patches to debug and test for
further information if necessary. Tho I'm that good at hardware
programming/debugging.

Cheers

David.