Re: [Re: V4L2 to-do list & Settop boxes

On Wed, 29 Aug 2001, Eric Jorgensen wrote:

> 	You could probably write a window manager for X that would behave the
> way a settop ought, but it would be an exercise in restricting the
> functionality of the windowing system instead of one in utilizing the
> functionality of the windowing system.

Err - why do you need a window manager?  If you don't want the window
manager functionality then don't run one.  If you don't want a session
manager (KDE, Gnome) then don't run one.

X doesn't have to mean heavy-duty window managers, docks and all that.
Try "X &" and run xterm to that display...

For my "for my own use just a fun experiment" digital video box I chose to
use X because it provided XVideo for video output, flexible video modes so
(with bt869) I can generate a good PAL TV picture, an easy way to have
windows open "on top of" the XVideo output, standard fonts etc, themable
GTK to (in principle) provide widgets that are easy to use from my app but
look good on interlaced video output.

Bonus for me is that my system is fairly compatible with off-the-shelf
apps should I want to use them.

All this in the spirit of debate.  No doubt going X-less is exactly the
right decision for your device.

Steve