Re: [Re: V4L2 to-do list & Settop boxes

>   > PS: http://www.linux-fbdev.org/
>   >     http://linuxconsole.sourceforge.net/
>   >

>  I couldn't find a reference to the "2.5 to-do list" at either site.
>  Is this similar to the Convergence "ActiveFB" API?

I don't know anything about the ActiveFB API.

It was discussed as feature for Ruby (what the codename for the 2.5.x
console subsystem code is).  I don't follow the fbdev discussions that
closely, don't know whenever they are still designing stuff or if there
is already code somewhere.  I havn't seen the overlay stuff mentioned,
but did a quick scan of the pages only.  You should find something in
the mail list archives ...

>   > s/X11/fb/ then.
>
>  That went over my head.

Replace X-Server with framebuffer driver (in alan text which I had
quoted), it fills the same function (encapsulate hardware access) for
embedded stuff.

>  Alan Cox wrote:
>   > Oh that bit I follow - its true for about another
>   > 12-18 months anyway, maybe longer.
>
>  Is their an X upcoming that will fit on small boxes?  Is reverse-bloat
>  in X's future?  (I realize that feature-bloat is not only X, but WM's
>  atop X.)

X11 itself isn't that big.  Most bloat comes from Desktops like KDE and
GNOME.  Also from applications with lots of eye-candy (the X-Server
needs memory for all the pixmaps), mozilla for example.  For somewhat
more realistic numbers I'd try to compare Qt embedded with Qt for X11.

For X11 you probably need a few more megabytes memory.  Given today's
memory prices I'd expect the difference isn't very big, and it will
become smaller over time ...

>  Or, are you saying that hardware prices will be cheaper in the future?

... that's why.

  Gerd

--
Damn lot people confuse usability and eye-candy.