Re: [Re: V4L2 to-do list & Settop boxes

> 	Well, it goes deeper than that. Much of what X allows should not be
> allowed on a set top box.

Umm this shows a real ignorance of X11

> 	First and foremost, the desktop paridigm is right out. There simply

That isnt X11

> 	Icons are a bad idea on a setop. So are menu bars. So are "start" bars
> and wharfs and docks. Get rid of it. Look at a TiVo for a good example.

That isnt X11

> 	But, it goes further than that. the entire concept of a "window" is a
> bad idea on a set top. Even if it fills the whole screen.

You have to have a window notion for your layers like video.

> 	I actually saw one settop demonstration where it was possible to
> accidentally grab the edge of the window slightly off-screen and resize

Thats not X thats a window manager

> way a settop ought, but it would be an exercise in restricting the
> functionality of the windowing system instead of one in utilizing the
> functionality of the windowing system.

Nope. The 'my wm is while(1) pause();' behaviour is what you describe. There
are good reasons for using X if you have the hardware basis, and especially
if you have connectivity

Need to call up your office PC via the TV - no problem
Need to check out your appointments on the ipaq you left upstairs - no
problem. VNC can offer some of this too.

It really depends how small your dream  is, and of course if you can get
it under budget.

Alan