Re: Re: Fwd: Re: V4L2 to-do list]

Gerd Knorr wrote:
> There are framebuffer / console changes pending for 2.5.x, this includes
> fb API extentions for video overlay (the fbdev people contacted me
> because of that recently).  This is IMO the way to go.
> PS: http://www.linux-fbdev.org/
>     http://linuxconsole.sourceforge.net/

I couldn't find a reference to the "2.5 to-do list" at either site.
Is this similar to the Convergence "ActiveFB" API?

> s/X11/fb/ then.

That went over my head.

Alan Cox wrote:
> Oh that bit I follow - its true for about another
> 12-18 months anyway, maybe longer.

Is their an X upcoming that will fit on small boxes? Is reverse-bloat in X's future? (I realize that feature-bloat is not only X, but WM's atop X.)

Or, are you saying that hardware prices will be cheaper in the future? Realize that my $200/box figure was high; asia requires the price down below $100. AT&T cable recently severed their relationship with Microsoft (despite MS's $5B to consummate the deal) because Wince requires a settop box costing $500 (because Wince for TV requires DirectX support). I've actually seen Microsoft demonstrating their settop box software on 1GHz Athlons!

Linux shines because we can tailor it to our customer's needs. Saying "X is the solution" is the same as Microsoft's stance requiring the whole elephant when all you need is the tail. Once we start competing with Microsoft on their terms and turf, we loose (Software Competition 101).

Thanks,

Chris