Re: Re: Fwd: Re: V4L2 to-do list]

> Is their an X upcoming that will fit on small boxes?  Is reverse-bloat
> in X's future?  (I realize that feature-bloat is not only X, but WM's
> atop X.)

Bit of both. The X folks (notably Keith Packard) are squashing X into
smaller and smaller spaces and adapting it for handhelds like the ipaq
and hardware is changing

> Or, are you saying that hardware prices will be cheaper in the future?

Cheaper maybe not, but the minimum you can buy for your buck grows ever
larger. Want 4Mb of RAM, sorry we only do 16Mb chips, and so on

> Linux shines because we can tailor it to our customer's needs.  Saying
> "X is the solution" is the same as Microsoft's stance requiring the
> whole elephant when all you need is the tail.  Once we start competing
> with Microsoft on their terms and turf, we loose (Software Competition
> 101).

X is not the solution for all cases. I'm one of the folks who kicked off
the nanogui project 8) - admittedly I was thinking smaller than Linux at
the time

Alan