Re: Fwd: Re: V4L2 to-do list]

Chris Worley wrote:
>  Alan Cox wrote:
>
> > Thanks for the background. Firstly Im curious why you would use video4linux
> > if the sidechannel is wired to the geode and could be driven by X11,
>
>  As I've said before, nobody is going to use X11 in a settop box (okay,

s/X11/fb/ then.

>  That means we have a big gaping hole with V4L & Frame buffer API's
>  thruput and output, when the hardware combines the video capture,
>  frame buffer, and overlay; we have an API for the capture, and bits
>  and pieces of the rest.

There are framebuffer / console changes pending for 2.5.x, this includes
fb API extentions for video overlay (the fbdev people contacted me
because of that recently).  This is IMO the way to go.

The application can ask the framebuffer driver for a piece of offscreen
memory for the video data, then ask the v4l driver to dump the video to
that memory location, then ask the framebuffer driver to setup the
overlay with chroma keying / alpha bleeding / whatever.

I can't see any other sane way to to that (maybe there is one if fb +
v4l are one device and handled by the the same driver, but that is a
special case).

  Gerd

PS: http://www.linux-fbdev.org/
    http://linuxconsole.sourceforge.net/

--
Damn lot people confuse usability and eye-candy.