Re: loadable modules enabled

I think I understand what you're getting at...  however, it appears that you
are wrong as far as the RedHat 7.1 default.  Personally I checked in the
default config files and they had CONFIG_VIDEO_DEV=m as well as
CONFIG_VIDEO_BT848=m.  However these values might have been different from
the compiled default. In any case, if you need to recompile and are unsure
of what you are doing, I recommend you just look at the sub-directory
"configs" under your kernel source.. it has several config files for
"typical" installations...  therefore you can copy the one you want to the
base source directory as a file named ".config". Also, if you need to modify
the configuration, I recommend you use make xconfig (instead of make
config)...  make xconfig will popup a GUI-based configuration which you will
find easier to use. Whatever the case, you should look at the Linux Kernel
HOWTO, compiling your kernel isn't as single as just running "make"...  in
fact, typically you need:

make xconfig
make dep
make bzImage
make install
make modules
make modules_install

(if I remember well, been a long time since I compiled a kernel)