Re: [linux-usb-devel] RE: audio on webcam

Hello,

On 13-Jul-01 Alan Cox wrote:
>> But there is a second, more fundamental problem: I dont know WHICH driver
>> claims the audio interface. It is theoretically possible that a second
>> audio
>> driver is written, with an entirely different structure. Since
>> private_data
>> is a void* pointer and there is no way to identify the driver attached to
>> it, I cannot rely on anything, _even_ a function exported by the current
>> audio driver.
>
> Right - you'd want to talk to audio and have a direct function call
> exported
> by it that you can use to ask it. Then you can set up the data and provide
> struct video_unit data via VIDIOCGUINT reporting the device minors, and
> whether you have GAUDIO do meaningful stuff is also optional

VIDIOCGUNIT? Hmm, when did you add that call to the document at
http://roadrunner.swansea.uk.linux.org/v4lapi.shtml? 5 minutes ago? :)))

[It´s in some bttv drivers already, so it has been around for a while
longer; but I don´t recall seeing it... But it is exactly the ioctl call I
need]. Now only a way to get that darn minor number... :)

The problem with GAUDIO is, that there is a way to get the number of audio
channels (usually 1). So a program would be tempted to call VIDIOCGAUDIO with
a .audio parameter ranging from 0 to max_audio_channel - 1 (and don´t pay
attention to what´s being returned).

 - Nemosft

Try SorceryNet!   One of the best IRC-networks around!   irc.sorcery.net:9000