Re: Interlace(?) problem :(

On 04-Jun-01 Don van der Haghen wrote:
> Indeed, switching to 16 bit mode fixed the problem. Strange thing I
> didn't think of that after everything I tried... :(

Sometimes the solutions are so simple they elude you :)

> Just to answer Nemosoft's questions, my graphics card has AGP so that
> shouldn't be the problem, and my motherboard/computer is quite new..

Okay, good.

> Does it work with 32 bit on your system Nemosoft?

Yes; in fact, I switched from 16 bit on the PCI card to 32 on the AGP, but
it´s still a major improvement, both for my TV card and screen updates. I
never could get my PCI card working properly in 32 bit color mode.

> And what's the
> difference for the user between 32 bit or 16 bit? (Other than the
> computer using more internal resources)

In 16 bit mode, there are less bits per color channel available (5 red, 5 or
6 green, 5 blue). This means less shades of colour per channel (32). Unless
you are doing high-quality DTP work, not something you usually notice.

The only disadvantage of this mode is that your CPU has to do more work,
packing from the (internal) 32 bit format used by Xwindows to the 15/16 bits
of your display. So screen updates may be slower now.

> Btw, I tried playing with the latency timers from within 'PowerTweak'
> which is a really nice app, but it only made the problem worse and I
> even had distortions in the small windows. So that didn't turn out too
> well ;)

It was worth a try; I myself could only marginally improve the distortions I
had (but it was far less than yours).

> Maybe it's a smart idea to make a FAQ with all the solutions in it.. I
> think this might help out a lot of people... It would have saved me days
> even.. ;)

Agreed. I might even volounteer :)

 - Nemosoft

Try SorceryNet!   One of the best IRC-networks around!   irc.sorcery.net:9000