Re: [OT] 3dfx.com. nvidia.com unreachable

On Fri, May 25, 2001 at 11:56:03AM -0400, Alan Cox wrote:
> > private addresses routed to or addressed to outside of your local
> > address and boarder gateways SHOULD filter out anything that has a
> > source address of a private address space, but, baring "policy routing",
> > stock routing does not take the source address into consideration in
> > the routing tables.  Lack of filtering?  Maybe...  Debatable.
> > Hopelessly messed up routing tables?  Not.

> Invalid configuration - yes. Since ICMP's from the bogus 10.* addresses might
> be important ones that you screen (path mtu for example). Also you have to
> block external 10.* traffic if you are using 10.* internally as you may get
> errors on your network caused by beliving an ICMP redirect escaped from their
> net

	Oh...  Agreed...  Absolutely!  (It's just not a "routing"
configuration error.  It's an issue for filtering, not routing.)

	But invalid configuration where?

	At their perimeter?  Probably.  They should not emit references
to RFC 1812 addresses to the net, but then again, they should not emit
ANY source addresses which can not be routed back to them (anti spoofing
filtering).  But maybe they don't have any such filtering in place (Yes,
Alan, I realize that MOST routers have filtering capabilities.  I also
know that a lot of them don't have additional capacity in terms of table
size or CPU load.  Unfortunate but reality.)

	At your perimeter?  Probably.  Why would you be allowing any
source address into your network which could not possibly be routed
back out (like packets coming in with internal source addresses).
Again...  Anti spoofing rules.  Again...  Perimeter router filtering
capacity.

	At the border gateways?  Probably.  Why should anything be allowed
into the core Internet which can not be reverse.  But the border gateways
are REALLY overloaded and it's not a simple problem.

	Reality...  It's going to show up.  If you need to protect your
references and uses to RFC 1812 addresses, it's going to fall on you
to filter out external packets with those source addresses, simply because
you can NOT rely on anyone else to do it for you.  Rule of thumb in
security in general (and applicable here), you can't rely on "the other
guy" to "do the right thing".  The incompetant won't and the malicious
are sure to do the opposite.

	But this has gotten way off topic for this list.  :-)=)

	Mike
--
 Michael H. Warfield    |  (770) 985-6132   |  mhw@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  (The Mad Wizard)      |  (678) 463-0932   |  http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/