Re: [OT] 3dfx.com. nvidia.com unreachable

Ben Bridgwater wrote:
> "Clifton T. Sharp Jr." wrote:
> > Ben Bridgwater wrote:
> > For you to imply that your inability to get through is a deliberate act on
> > Abovenet's part without any facts to back that assertion up is disingenuous
> > at best.
>
> Well, if you weren't so heavy handed about cutting people off from
> chunks of the net then you wouldn't be setting yourself up for
> suspicion.

1. I am not associated in any way (other than as a user) with MAPS or RBL.
2. RBL is about the least heavy-handed anti-spam blocking list in existence.
Except for a couple of short-lived hiccups some months ago, one has to
try *very* hard to get listed. I have nominated several extreme spammers,
and not one was listed, because a three-year history of nothing but heavy
spamming was *not enough evidence*.

> Consider this from my point of view:
>
> - I read on /. about above.net blocking macromedia.com, but supposedly
> unblocking them
>
> - I can't access nvidia.com, do a traceroute and there's above.net
>
> - I remember the story, check macromedia.com and bingo - above.net and
> no access
>
> - I come come and check from here, and minus above.net I can get to
> macromedia
>
> - I check nvidia from home, and same as Eric:
> [snip for brevity]
>
> Guess who's the prime suspect?

So despite the fact that you've run into other routing problems before
with other sites (I assume you've had a 'net connection longer than a
day or two), you connect the coincidences without investigating and
ASSUME that Abovenet is blocking.

If you've been on the 'net for more than a month, you should know better
than to ASSUME things. Someone will invariably jump all over your
assumptions.

<http://mail-abuse.org/cgi-bin/lookup> gives a way to check whether an
IP address is listed in the RBL. If it's not in RBL, Abovenet is very,
very unlikely to be blocking it (I'd say impossible, but I don't work
there). Better to check first next time.

--
|   Cliff Sharp   |  "Speech isn't free when it comes postage-due."           |