RE: Re: Video Size in ffserver

Your better bet would be to look into the RTSP standard - RFC 2326. Try:
ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2326.txt or your favorite RFC repository.

You can also download RTSP reference implementation source from:
http://www.realnetworks.com/devzone/library/rtsp/reference.html?src=r-av,nos
rc

or look into OpenDivX Streaming SR-RTP 0.1a and the (IMHO) interesting
'Congestion Management and Interactions Between Layered Quality Adaptation'
(I believe they call it) at
http://nms.lcs.mit.edu/papers/videocm-pv2001.html

Thier server listens for requests on an RTSP port, establishes session
parameters via SDP, and streams requested data to the client via RTP over
UDP (not great for most firewalls, if you don't have control over them, and
not wonderful for security overall...  I'm partial to http for that reason
alone.)

As for the time limitations suggested - I haven't seen them on my Windows
development machine, but I have a TON of memory in that box.  My laptop, on
the otherhand, stops after 6mins.  It has 256M and runs Win 2000 Pro.  Could
be a buffer is getting run over.  MPJPEG will stream until I run out of RAM
and drive space (Netscape believes it's downloading ONE HUGE temporary
file.) One of the interesting things I've noted is that now that I can
change the video size in ffserver, if I set it for 4CIF and Motion JPEG or
Shockwave Streaming Format (effectively MPJPEG), I get streaming garbage
(not to be confused with the 'Steaming Garbage' in the other room that I
haven't taken out because I've been trying to get the ASF streaming working)
rather than a complete MJPEG packet, suggesting a buffer isn't large
enough...  Something to investigate...

--- Jodie