Re: Re: Hauppauge WinTV and VIA Apollo Pro133A possible interference

On Fri, 30 Mar 2001, Robert Siemer wrote:
> From: "Amir C. Akhavan" <ac.akhavan@xxxxxx>
> > To make a long story "short" the only parameter that actually helped
> > was the already mentioned PCI Clk timing (latency).
>
> Can somebody explain to me, what "PCI Clk latency" is (from the
> technical side)??

It's the minimum amount of time a PCI device will be allowed to hold the PCI
bus.  If the PCI latency for a device is set to 32, that device will always
get to hold the PCI bus for at least 32 clock cycles.  It could hold the bus
longer, if nother else wants it, but 32 is the minimum.

You can set the value for each PCI device with setpci.  To make you TV
card perform best, give it a high value and every other card a low value.

> > So the conclusion would be to *enable* PCI Peer Concurrency and
>
> Dito.

Afraid I don't know what that one does...

> > Even with all these settings, there are still distortions when other
> > windows are moved and (really bad ones) under heavy disk i/o.
>
> Just to mention it: with my WinTV Theater I get black horizontal lines
> (shorter than the screen width) when ISA IRQs are occuring.

With my 440FX chipset I can do disk I/O, use my ISA sound card, and move
windows around without any problems with bt848 overlay.  The zoran card
overlay isn't nearly as good, disk i/o or moving windows causes it to
mess up.