Re: best tv-card

	I've had good luck with my Hauppauge WinTV 401, but it was expensive. I
got it *on *clearance for $81.

	I like the STB Desktop TV as well, but earlier STB tv cards (TV-PCI
especially) are a bad choice for V4L. You can get OEM version DesktopTV
cards on eBay for about $30 plus shipping.

	Had an ADS ChannelSurfer card once, don't particularly recommend it.
The audio was poor. ADS has end-of-lifed this product line anyhow. On
the other hand, ADS graciously replaced my noisy ChannelSurfer nearly a
year after i bought it, allowing me to get rid of a presumably working
card instead of what i felt was a useless card.

	However, both cards that i recommended here are Bt878 + philips tv+fm
tuner configurations, and won't work well in all situations. Sometimes
there are PCI chipset issues that make their use very ugly, partcularly
with AMD and VIA chipsets, as well as some SiS and older Intel chipsets.
There's also an issue with S3 video cards mapping some of the same
memory space.

	You're not going to get anybody saying "this is the best card ever, you
can't go wrong", because no one card will be good in all situations.
Bt8x8 cards are fantastic for watching tv when they work, and they
usually work, but aren't the greatest for, say, capturing full size
images and streams, due to some interlacing that will appear in the
final product.

 - Eric