Re: [V4L] RDS in /proc/rds? + MiroSound PCMxx

On Thu 17 Aug 2000, Robert Siemer wrote:

> > There are also interesting things like the traffic program / traffic
> > announcement flags, which are genuinely useful when clueful broadcasters
> > are in command.  The intended purpose is to pause a CD or similar in order
> > to let you hear their traffic report.  Around here nobody actually uses
> > it, so it's just a vaporware feature at best.
>
> First: this kind of feature is in heavy use in Germany! And I can get

Also in the Netherlands. There is an extension EON (enhanced other
network) that tells the tuner that on _another_ station (frequency)
there is traffic informaton, and the radio will switch to that
station, let you hear the info, and then switch back to the original
station (and continue playing the cd / cassette / perhaps even radio :-)

> Here I intergrate unseen one of my novice questions:  (:
> Is it possible to extract RDS without hardware like with videotext? -
> I've seen an interesting device which showed RDS (e.g. text) when
> connected to the headphone-out of a standard radio!! As far as I
> understood the spec this should be impossible...

I think you mean this device (german page, although babelfish
does a pretty good job on the text):
http://www.conrad.de/cgi-bin/conshop/ConShop.pl?TK_PAR[USER_ID]=0404036060966499943&TK_EV[SHOWPAGE]=&TK_PAR[PAGEID]=2531&TK_PAR[MEDIUM]=62

It depends on the filters in the tuner not completely removing the
RDS signal. This one is generally connected to the line out of the
tuner. I've seen it work.

Paul Slootman
--
home:       paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx http://www.wurtel.demon.nl/