Re: [V4L] RDS in /proc/rds? + MiroSound PCMxx

From: Russell Kroll <rkroll@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

> There are a lot of things that can be decoded from the bitstream.  What's
> available depends on the type of blocks being sent to us by the
> broadcaster.  The most useful ones that come to mind right off are:
>
>  - Program type (PTY) - News, Rock, other descriptions for what's on
>  - Program name - 8 chars, usually a station's nickname ("MAGIC FM")
>  - Radiotext - up to 64 chars, sometimes a song name (depends on source)
>  - Clock - Assuming they have a good source, then you can sync from them

Possible with the PCM20 radio and used well by broadcasters.

>  - Call sign - Kxxx or Wxxx in this country.  Not sure for others...

Unknow to me and my card... (:

> Some of these elements occur more than others in the transmissions.  The
> PTY, for example, is supposed to be in every type of block they send out.
> Things like the radiotext only show up once every few seconds.

This is completly one level deeper than what I can get from the PCM20.

> There are also interesting things like the traffic program / traffic
> announcement flags, which are genuinely useful when clueful broadcasters
> are in command.  The intended purpose is to pause a CD or similar in order
> to let you hear their traffic report.  Around here nobody actually uses
> it, so it's just a vaporware feature at best.

First: this kind of feature is in heavy use in Germany! And I can get
these flags. - What I dont know for sure is about the integration of
pre-RDS-standards on traffic announcement. Broadcasters (also?) send an
audible sign when the announcement starts and stops...

Here I intergrate unseen one of my novice questions:  (:
Is it possible to extract RDS without hardware like with videotext? -
I've seen an interesting device which showed RDS (e.g. text) when
connected to the headphone-out of a standard radio!! As far as I
understood the spec this should be impossible...

> I can rig some code to parse the raw bits and turn it into useful data,
> but we'll need a clear structure for storing it.  It would also be nice to
> be able to convey things directly to userspace for people with this card,
> since many of the blocks are defined by the broadcaster - that is, no
> existing format.
>
> Perhaps a series of types within the struct would be best... highlevel
> types like "program name" would be on both cards, but there could also be
> low level types like "3A open data application raw data" for the Cadet.

I would like this solution!

Bye,
	Robert